Afternoon Tea Week is a delightful celebration dedicated to the time-honored British tradition of indulging in a sumptuous afternoon tea. It is a week-long event that takes place annually, typically during the second week of August. During this special week, people around the world come together to enjoy the art of tea, relish delicious pastries and sandwiches, and cherish the camaraderie that comes with sharing a pot of tea with loved ones and friends.
It’s a time to savor the charm and elegance of afternoon tea, and to experience the warmth and relaxation that comes with taking a moment to pause and enjoy a cup of tea amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life.
What is Afternoon Tea Week
Afternoon Tea Week is an annual celebration in the United Kingdom that honors the tradition of afternoon tea. During this week, people come together to enjoy a delightful afternoon tea experience with friends and family, savoring a variety of teas and delicious treats. It’s a time to appreciate the quintessential British custom and create cherished memories.
Afternoon Tea Week in 2023
Afternoon Tea Week in 2023 will be celebrated from August 7th to August 13th.
During this week, tea lovers and enthusiasts gather to partake in the delightful tradition of afternoon tea. It’s a perfect opportunity to indulge in a selection of teas, scones, sandwiches, and other delectable treats while enjoying the company of loved ones in a cozy and elegant setting.
Afternoon Tea Week History
Afternoon Tea Week originated in the United Kingdom as a celebration of the beloved British tradition of afternoon tea. The custom of taking tea and light refreshments in the afternoon can be traced back to the 19th century when Anna, the Duchess of Bedford, began the practice to combat afternoon hunger.
Over time, afternoon tea evolved into an elegant social occasion for the upper class and eventually became popular among people of all backgrounds. Afternoon Tea Week was established to honor this cherished tradition and has since grown into a global celebration, with tea rooms and establishments worldwide participating in promoting the joy of afternoon tea.
Unknown Facts About Tea
- Origin: Tea is believed to have originated in China over 5,000 years ago. According to legend, Emperor Shen Nong discovered tea when tea leaves fell into his pot of boiling water.
- Types of Tea: There are four main types of tea – black, green, white, and oolong – each made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. Herbal teas, such as chamomile or peppermint, are not technically teas but infusions made from other plants.
- Caffeine Content: The caffeine content in tea is generally lower than in coffee. However, the amount of caffeine varies depending on the type of tea and how it is brewed. Generally, black tea has the highest caffeine content, followed by oolong, green, and white teas.
- Health Benefits: Tea is rich in antioxidants called catechins, which may help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. Regular consumption of tea has been associated with potential health benefits, such as improved heart health and reduced risk of certain chronic diseases.
- Tea Bags: The tea bag was invented by accident in the early 20th century. Thomas Sullivan, a New York tea merchant, sent loose tea to his customers in small silk bags. Some customers mistakenly put the entire bag into hot water, and the concept of the tea bag was born.
- Tea and the British: Afternoon tea became a popular tradition in Britain during the 19th century when Anna, the Duchess of Bedford, introduced the concept of having tea and light snacks in the afternoon to ward off hunger between lunch and dinner.
- Most Consumed Beverage: After water, tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world. It is a significant part of many cultures and plays a central role in various ceremonies and rituals.
- Tea Plantations: The largest tea-producing country in the world is China, followed by India. Other significant tea-producing countries include Kenya, Sri Lanka, and Japan.
Afternoon Tea Week Wishes & Messages 2024
💐 Sip, chat, and relax in the company of loved ones! May your #AfternoonTeaWeek be a time of pure bliss and delicious indulgence. Cheers to teatime joy! 🍰🍃
🍵🎉 It’s time to celebrate the art of afternoon tea! Wishing you a fantastic #AfternoonTeaWeek filled with delightful moments and scrumptious treats. Enjoy to the fullest! 🫖🌸
🌺☕ Let’s raise our teacups to a week of togetherness and cherished memories. May your #AfternoonTeaWeek be as sweet as the treats on your tiered tray! 🍰🥰
🎈 Happy #AfternoonTeaWeek! May your teatime gatherings be a beautiful blend of laughter, love, and the comforting aroma of freshly brewed tea. Enjoy the magic of tea! 🍃💕
🍪☕ Wishing you a delightful #AfternoonTeaWeek filled with scrumptious bites and heartwarming conversations. May your teatime gatherings be as cozy as a teapot’s embrace! 🫖😊
🌼🍰 Cheers to a week of delightful sips and scrumptious treats! May your #AfternoonTeaWeek be a feast for the senses and a celebration of the simple joys of life. Enjoy! 🍵💐
🎊 Let the teapot pour joy into your heart! Wishing you a splendid #AfternoonTeaWeek filled with special moments and the company of cherished friends. Happy teatime! 🍪😄
🌸🍃 Here’s to a week of teatime elegance and relaxation! May your #AfternoonTeaWeek be a respite from the busyness of life, filled with soothing teas and delightful treats. 🍰🌺
🍵🎀 Embrace the charm of afternoon tea! May your #AfternoonTeaWeek be a time of reconnection, laughter, and the joy of creating beautiful memories together. Cheers to teatime bliss! 🫖💕
🍪☕ Enjoy the sweet moments of #AfternoonTeaWeek! May your teatime gatherings be filled with delicious flavors and the warmth of friendship. Sip, savor, and cherish every cup! 🍰🍃
💫 It’s tea o’clock! Wishing you a marvelous #AfternoonTeaWeek filled with the soothing sounds of clinking teacups and the delightful taste of your favorite brew. Enjoy the teatime magic! 🌺😊
🍰🎉 Celebrate the beauty of teatime traditions! May your #AfternoonTeaWeek be a time of relaxation, reflection, and the joy of sharing tea with loved ones. Cheers to teatime delights! 🍵💐
🌼☕ Raise your teacup to a week of tranquility and connection! May your #AfternoonTeaWeek be as serene as a blooming garden and as comforting as a warm hug. Enjoy the teatime treats! 🫖🍰
🍃💖 Happy #AfternoonTeaWeek! May your teatime gatherings be filled with the laughter of friends, the aroma of freshly steeped tea, and the sweetness of treasured moments shared. 🌸🍪
🌺 Here’s to a week of teatime elegance and enchantment! May your #AfternoonTeaWeek be a celebration of the little moments that bring joy and comfort to our hearts. Sip and savor the magic! 🍰☕
Hashtags Afternoon Tea Week
#AfternoonTeaWeek #TeaTime #TeaLovers #TeaParty #AfternoonTea #Scones #TeaSandwiches #TeaTreats #TeaDelights #TeaTradition #TeaTimeFun #TeaSweets #TeaAddict #TeaForTwo #TeaTimeAdventures #TeaPartyTime #TeaAndScones #TeaObsession #TeaGathering #TeaWithFriends
How To Celebrate Afternoon Tea Week
- Host a Tea Party: Invite friends or family over for a proper afternoon tea party. Set up a beautiful table with a variety of teas, sandwiches, scones, and cakes.
- Visit a Tea Room: Treat yourself to a visit to a charming tea room or a historic hotel that offers a traditional afternoon tea service.
- Try Different Tea Varieties: Explore different tea flavors and types during the week. From classic black teas to herbal infusions, there’s a wide range of teas to enjoy.
- Bake Scones and Cakes: Get creative in the kitchen and bake some scones, cakes, and biscuits to enjoy with your tea. You can even experiment with different flavors.
- Invite a Friend for Tea: Invite a friend or a loved one to join you for a cup of tea and a chat. Afternoon tea is a perfect opportunity to catch up and relax together.
- Learn Tea Etiquette: Brush up on your tea etiquette and learn about the proper way to pour and serve tea.
- Host a Tea Tasting: If you have a group of tea-loving friends, consider hosting a tea tasting event where you can try and compare various tea blends.
- Learn About Tea History: Take some time to learn about the history and origins of tea and how it became an integral part of British culture.
- Support Local Tea Shops: Show your support for local businesses by purchasing your teas and treats from independent tea shops and bakeries.
- Share Your Tea Experience: Share your afternoon tea experiences on social media using the hashtag #AfternoonTeaWeek to connect with other tea enthusiasts.
Afternoon Tea Week Events
- Afternoon Tea Parties: Tea rooms, hotels, and cafes host special afternoon tea parties with themed menus, live music, and traditional tea service.
- Afternoon Tea Workshops: Culinary schools and tea experts offer workshops where participants learn the art of making scones, finger sandwiches, and other tea treats.
- Afternoon Tea Tours: Some cities offer guided tours of the best tea rooms and historic places associated with afternoon tea.
- Afternoon Tea Charity Events: Fundraising events are held where proceeds from afternoon tea gatherings are donated to charities and causes.
- Afternoon Tea Competitions: Bakers and chefs compete in tea-related contests to showcase their creativity and culinary skills.
Afternoon Tea Recipes
Classic English Scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add cold butter cubes and rub into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, egg, and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface, gently knead, then roll to 1-inch thickness.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut scones and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Serve warm with clotted cream and jam. Enjoy! 🥐🍵
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches:
- 8 slices of white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lay out bread slices and spread cream cheese on each one.
- Layer cucumber slices on half of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle chopped dill, salt, and pepper over the cucumbers.
- Top with the remaining bread slices to make sandwiches.
- Cut sandwiches into small triangles or squares.
- Serve with your favorite tea and enjoy these delightful cucumber tea sandwiches! 🥪🍵
Afternoon Tea Week Deals
Some common deals during this week may include:
- Afternoon Tea Discounts: Some places offer discounted prices on their traditional afternoon tea menus or create special afternoon tea packages.
- Two-for-One Offers: Some establishments may offer a “buy one, get one free” deal on their afternoon tea service to encourage more people to enjoy this tradition together.
- Afternoon Tea Gift Vouchers: Gift vouchers for afternoon tea experiences are often offered at discounted rates, allowing customers to purchase them as gifts for friends and family.
- Afternoon Tea Week Menus: Some places may introduce limited-time menus with unique twists on traditional afternoon tea items or include special seasonal treats.
- Loyalty Rewards: Loyalty programs may offer additional points or rewards for customers who enjoy afternoon tea during this celebratory week.
Afternoon Tea Week FAQS
When is Afternoon Tea Week celebrated?
Afternoon Tea Week is typically celebrated during the second week of August each year. In 2023, it will be celebrated from August 7th to August 14th.
What is the significance of Afternoon Tea Week?
Afternoon Tea Week celebrates the British tradition of afternoon tea, which dates back to the early 19th century. It is a time for people to come together, enjoy a cup of tea, and indulge in a selection of delicious sweet and savory treats.
How can I participate in Afternoon Tea Week?
There are several ways to participate in Afternoon Tea Week. You can visit tea rooms, hotels, or restaurants that offer special afternoon tea menus or promotions during this time. Alternatively, you can host your own afternoon tea party at home and invite friends and family to join in the celebration.
Is Afternoon Tea Week celebrated only in the UK?
While Afternoon Tea Week has its roots in the UK, it is now recognized and celebrated in many parts of the world, where the tradition of afternoon tea has become popular.